View Single Post
      02-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #14
SoTempted
Captain
Rep
Drives: Incompetently

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark896 View Post
I've got more questions on this process.. I just spoke with my bank and unfortunately, the rep I spoke with was a COMPLETE idiot so I'm on my own until I get a hold of someone that knows more.

If I live in New York (military), and I buy the car in Arizona (for example), but I want to register the car in either Texas (my home state) or New York, how does the taxes work?? Once I register the car, they're going to want me to pay sales taxes in the state that I register it in right? I dont pay sales tax in Arizona, the place I purchased the car right? How the F does this work?

Now I see why people go to the stealership, this private seller shit is for the birds.
I'm military too and recently bought a car that was in Pennsylvania while I'm here in Oklahoma with a home of record of Texas.

Best bet is to find somebody competent at your bank to walk you through the process, that's what I did (USAA is my bank).

You are correct about not paying sales tax for the state you bought it in, you will pay for whatever state you register the car in. I thought about registering in Texas also but I think I remember something about you have to have a physical address in the state you are registering in... Google Texas vehicle registration laws, it shouldn't be too hard to find the info for that.

I was nervous about the whole buying from a private party nonsense but it actually was really easy, especially if you've got a motivated seller that will get you or your bank the info you need at the drop of a dime, like I had.
Appreciate 0