View Single Post
      10-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #8
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta2004m3 View Post
Well, road course tracks are fun, but not the easiest to just pick up and go spend some time on. So, in terms of good roads to drive you can head straight up 400 to Dahlonega and there are tons of great roads to drive throughout north GA. Up through Blue Ridge and the Chattahoochee National Forest, great twists and turns for miles, with some decent places to hike and grab food too.

Beyond that, albeit a bit slower due to traffic and speed limits, you can venture up into North Carolina to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Don't go there unless you have time and don't mind sticking pretty close to the speed limits though. Great views and a very nice road mind you.

There's always the Tail of the Dragon up in Deal's Gap straddling the border betweeen NC and Tenn, but it isnt what it used to be, from what folks tell me. More sport bikes, more traffic and thusly, more law enforcement too. 11 miles and 316 turns aint too shabby, but you have to be careful.

400N to 19 to 60 is not bad. goes all the way up to the Tenn/GA border. or jump off 60 to 180 and down 348 and either over to Helen or from there head down hwy75 (NOT I-75 please note) to 129 and that hooks up with I-985 and back to ATL. 129 all the way from Nantahala National Forest in North Carolina down to Clevelend isnt bad either, busier road tho as you go further south.

Check them out on mapquest or Streets and Trips, they aren't but an hour from downtown ATL and just head north from there. You won't find much better driving anywhere in the US or Canada, save the Rockies or the West Coast and that's speaking from experience.

i forgot to add, if you are using MS Streets and Trips, zoom in tight on the roads I mentioned above and you'll see why they are decent roads to head out on. From a zoomed out perspective it doesn't become readily apparent.

Cheers!
Sweet, thanks for the info. I might do the Helen trip this Saturday or Sunday.