06-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #14
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by druu View Post
I think that's their selling point until they get more native lenses though. the 20mm for sure is a nice lens, but the kit lens probably makes it a bit more unwieldly. I loved seeing photos of it attached to a 70-200 though. That's kind of the problem i had with the kit lens on a micro 4/3s camera, the bodies were small, but unless you got one of the pancake lenses, the bigger lenses offset any benefit from the small bodies.

I don't think that it'll replace an slr without a viewfinder. That box focus that you described + the slow speed probably isn't good for anything moving.
No, this thing won't do moving objects. Although I did capture a good shot of a girl walking left to right in front of me. She was at a slightly oblique angle, so getting closer to me as she passed. It locked on to her fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
I think there's a place for them and serious photography, including nature and wildlife, but it'll require and electronic viewfinder and no focus latency. The lighter body and shooting like 30-fps could make things very attractive. Moores law is going to make future processors smaller, lighter and more powerful and rethinking the body in digital cameras makes lots of sense.

If we can get rid of the prism, the body shape is free to go to its most efficient form. These early bodies are pretending that they need to look like old 35mm cameras, when there's little reason, other than tradition, to follow that form factor.

Some day , in the not too distant future, we might be plugging a sensor right into the back of our 5-lb, 1,000mm lens and having all the processing done in a little unit hung or our belt, in our pocket or in a backpack. We'll preview our output with a set of glasses that provides other functions, like range finding or IR viewing.

All the pieces are here, now we need a designer to put it together and deliver it to a market.

Dave
I anticipate Gigapan capability in a very small package in the near future. The whole sensor field will undergo a paradigm shift and change the way we capture light. The interesting part will be seeing how such a sensor will change the way we build and use lenses.

BTW, Canon announced a firmware upgrade coming out at the end of the month that is supposed to speed up AF on the M by 2.3x. That will be a nice change.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0