View Single Post
      02-19-2011, 12:52 PM   #18
Legion5
Major
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradb View Post
When I test drove the M3 for the first time, the sales rep was saying the car really doesn't need a break-in. Maybe a few hundred miles to get seals and components used to temp changes, but otherwise just floor it to red line.

Then, I took it out a second time for a test drive, and this sale rep was telling me to baby the car till 1,200mi. Then, something like keep the revs down until 4k mi or something.

I'm doing ED March 14. I plan to drive from Munich, to Vienna, down to southern Austria, and then up to Frankfurt. I figure I might get 700mi on the car or so. I will gradually push the car harder and harder during that period. While in Frankfurt, I'm going to make my way to the Nurburgring and drive it like I stole it.

I'm leasing the car, so I'm not overly worried about long-term wear. However, I am interested in hearing from owners who've had the cars for a couple years and didn't follow the 1,200mi break-in recommendation. Any probs? Thanks!
Just so you know the manufacturer break in proceedure is primarily designed to keep you from messing up your car. It's one of the worst break in proceedures you can do, and by the first few dozen miles the engine is utterly broken in for all intents and purposes.

I've worked in and around high end open wheel racing and the engineers on racing teams unanimously laugh at the manufacturer suggdested ultra long break in proceedures for cars. I've seen both engineers from the top schools with the latest knowlege and guys with 40 years of experience with engines laughing at manufacturer break in proceedures.

Basically the main purpose of keeping the engine at low RPM for 1200 miles is because the oil is filled with solids from the first few miles of break in. Following the manufacturer proceedure will protect the engine if you don't change the oil repeatedly within the first few miles which is something that nobody does and therefore the manufacturer proceedure is born. The manufacturer break in proceedure, while being safe and not as technical as a proper break in, both takes a long time and significantly reduces power output.

If you want to know how to properly break in your car and enjoy the engine sooner, read this:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Clean cars are happy cars!
CANON PHOTOGRAPHER
Appreciate 0