11-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #51
SouthShoreM3
Passes everything but the gas station
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

STATE: MA

EMISSIONS REGULATIONS:

Must pass OBD readiness on 6 out of 7 monitors. One can fail or not be ready. This has to be done every year.

MOD PROGRESSION:

Before supercharging I had Dinan intake, pulley, AA exhaust, Dinan TB, Dinan stage 2 tune and Dinan x pipe (no cats), 4.10 diff, and ESS tune.

I would pass but would need to swap stock x pipe on back and forth. Bring it to my BMW dealer to do the swaps and inspection. Off I would be in about a few hours.

This year had VF 540 kit with same exhaust bolt ons (no intake, pulley or Dinan software as it is VF now). Swap back stock x pipe and put stock VF file for stock cats. Could not pass readiness. Was told it would, but kit is for off road use only and not emissions compliant. Could not even get more than 2 monitors to set readiness with VF software and hardware. Tried over 800 miles of driving cycles. Had rejection sticker.

Took off VF 540 and put ESS 575 on with stock X pipe. was told by ESS to drive vehicle for approximately 200 miles and 6 out of 7 monitors would set readiness. This is with the stock file provided by ESS for stock cats. Exactly 200 miles and all systems were a go. Got inspection sticker. Also, no other issues emissions related for smog increase with ESS or VF blower. All done at my BMW dealer.

Yes MA is a complete pain just for $29 sticker. But unfortunately a must. Maybe I should get an old MOPAR so it wouldn't even matter

Until next April. You guys in the south got it made!
Appreciate 0