11-12-2009, 12:45 PM   #88
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Kernow View Post
Ok, well some people wouldn't be happy to reduce their Motors life expectancy down from around the 180k mark (previous M models are still driving around with this high mileage) down to around the 80k. Even if your not going to own the car for that long, if you own it for 4 years and most of us use these cars as daily drivers your going to put around 40k on the car, thats half of the engines life under FI. I couldn't sell a car to someone without telling them the real deal, which i know would effect the value of my car.

FI on M Cars isn't anything new, and as there is hardly any feedback on the Supercharger Kits available currently, i'm not saying all kits will have problems, i'm just going off the history of previous vehicles. I've always own M's and so have my friends, my E46 was kept NA (I didn't have a stroker) but a couple of my mates had 2 different types of FI packages, both were constantly having issues with there cars always overheating and always running shitty.

I haven't driven a SC E9* model but, i've always thought that on the E46 the car feels heavier in the front end with the FI installed and always preferred the way my NA car felt in comparison, not only in handling but also day to day driving, after a while I feel driving aftermarket FI is a chore and is not fun easy going driving. I bought an M to have an M

The M Philosophy to date is to keep a naturally aspirated motor, yes they are going to forced induction soon but that is only to keep up in the market and put down bigger numbers to keep the people that like to claim numbers happy. The M division are also going to do the FI properly and drop the motor down from the V8 to the Inline 6 in order to keep the balance of the car. Otherwise why has the M.Division not just upgraded the AWARD WINNING S65 Engine with FI? Same with the GTS they didn't just slap a Supercharger on it they bumped up the displacement

Here is a link to some videos, I can't remember which section its in but Steve Dinan claims to have raced a FI against their stroker and beat or was the same as it, i cant remember exactly off the top of my head and the guy is so boring I can't be bothered to listen to the whole thing again. No one else has done this test so unless he's talking shit I don't know what to think? Someone over in the States should call them and ask them who's kit they raced against?

http://www.mfestforum.com/forum/show...ght=dinan+tour

Niterider who has a FI M3 said this in another post:

My car @ 8lbs of boost which will be what the kit will be sold with, made 517whp. Thats a little more then 200 gained whp, and I have had no problems (knock on wood). Ive also ran my car with 9.5 lbs of boost for a few weeks, with no problems. The car makes 530-540whp at this boost. The only reason I stopped running this boost was because the car had no traction 1st-3rd gear, which made me get sideways any time I gave it full WOT. The car still doesnt hook very well with 8lbs of boost but its more manageable.

I recently dropped the boost to 6.5 lbs which is my current dyno of 480whp, but this was just a personal choice. I run a lot of canyons and track as much as I can afford so I really dont need that much power. This allows me to still control the car better in turns and also do some damage on the straights. I get your point about the more power the more problems, but that is not the case with the Gintani SC kit.

Basically because you have 600 odd horses doesn't mean you can use it on the track or backroads effectively, there is only so much power you can use hence Nightrider dropping his boost.

I don't mean any offense at all by mentioning American Muscle but commonly superchargers are slap on cars to get good 1/4 mile times, and your talking about wanting a car to run 10's if you drop $25k. Driving straight in a fast line is not why i bought any of the M's I have ever owned.

Two people on this forum have had one manufacturers FI kit. One of the guys is selling it and you are still yet to reinstall it after it blew your first motor. Let us know when you get the kit reinstalled cause it sounds like Pencil Geek is down for some SAFE and ORGANISED battling.

At the end it comes down to different STROKES for different folks
If any stroker wants to run they should run Niterider or Sammyrusso's car I gurantee Steve Dinan would shit bricks if he ran those cares. Either way he can say whatever he wants he has 0 data to back it up and people have no clue what that stroker can produce there are no dynos no 1/4 mile data no nothing of value so it amazes me to think people are willing to drop that kinda of cash on pure hearsay.

And I guess the same thing could be said to a degree on the S/C cars but I know that will change at the upcoming Famoso event. But for now the Power graphs alone tells you the S/C cars are much much faster. I dunno what Steve Dinan ran but I'm sure it wasn't anything running properly LOL. Gintani's kit is good for over 500whp on a dyno dynamics what do the strokers make on the same dyno? maybe 400-410whp at best thats only about 10-20hp more then a Bolt on car like mine. Sorry but It wouldnt even be a competiton.

Thats why I sorta think it would have been better to run Stickys car for the Forum wars because now everyone is going to talk a whole heap of crap about the M3 claiming it had $30k dropped in it and gets smoked by a modded C63 at least if it was Sticky's car it wouldn't have been as big of a deal because it has much less money in to it. And he would have been just as fast. I guess we'll see what happens tommorrow.
Appreciate 0