Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey1112 View Post
In my opinion, or at least how i'd approach reproducing this image. Tripod is necessary; so setup your camera where you'd like and leave it there haha. I believe he has 2 exposure of this image; 1 with hood up exposing the image and one with the hood down.

You can simply layer the two images and as long as your exposure is the same. the car itself will have the same exposure. You can start erasing the hood (be sure to change the opacity and flow of the brush so you don't get such hard edges on your brush) if you don't do this, your mistakes (no matter how careful you may be) will show and will look choppy. So I always work with w/ low percentages for both flow and opacity.

You will have to erase the hood from both images (on each layer while working on photoshop). since you are workingw two layers, 1 layer will compensate for the area will have erased; in other words, when you are erasing the hood off the image layer with the engine bay exposed, you don't need to worry about erasing the image of the windshield because the layer under that (image of the hood down) will still have its windshield.

at this point is a matter of balancing where to erase and playing with opacity of the layers to hide any rough edges and then you should be able to produce images like what he has.

Thanks for the tip. I guess manual mode has to be used to keep the exposures the same between shots? For the post-processing step, I was also wondering if there was a more efficient mode of engine bay selection than manually erasing with the brush. I figure that in this image there are three layers?

1. the base pic with the hood down (hood erased)?
2. an overlay with the isolated exposedengine bay ( w ~30% transparency)
3. An overlay with the isolated hood (w ~80% transparency) - to give the lidded effect over the 'x-ray' image of the bay.

I'll try that out one day. Need someplace isolated where I can take the time to get the right shots. Cool stuff.
Appreciate 0