OurFarmersAgent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Custom E93 328i (E93MAC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx__xs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurFarmersAgent View Post
Hi Guys, So I've been searching too. What I've found is the special tools are actually a "Slide Hammer" and the "threaded tip" that screw into the hole on the front roof panel after removing the plastic cover. You will see that there is a square shaped plug with a threaded hole. You use the slide hammer to pull the plug out and then use a ratchet to turn clockwise or counter clockwise to manually lock / unlock the top. I have no idea why BMW has a plug that needs to be pulled out, but they put it there. Maybe to prevent us from fucking with it.

I'm going to go by Auto Zone and pick up a slide hammer to see if it works. I'll check back with pics and results. Mike 9/04/2019

https://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/3_series_e93/335i_n54_conver/2_repair_instructions/54__slide-tilt_sunroof_and_convertible_top_(conver)/37__folding_roof/48_ra__emergency_closing_hardtop/page_2250/
if this is true then i feel insulted that the master mechanic lied to me to prevent me from telling people lol
Yes...it's true. I went to my local Auto Zone and rented an everyday slide hammer / dent puller tool for $135.00 deposit. Went home and dug around and found a bolt that worked. Bolt size M5-08 in pic.

I put the bolt into the cap, screwed the cap onto the slide hammer, held it up and screwed it into the plug. With minimal effort, a slight drop of the slide hammer popped the plug out. After seeing the plug, I figure it connects the gear that actuates the locks (closest to head liner) up to the gear that is controlled by the electric motor. Pulling the plug disconnected the two. Then you insert the plug back into the hole, just enough to turn the gear with a wrench. You can feel the locks engaging. You can lock, or unlock it in this manner. Doing so, actuates the locking mechanisms between the middle section and front section at the same time.

There is a different area you need to lock the back section with the window down to the car. I'll take photos later so you can see the location on both the driver side and passenger side accessable through the trunk.

So now my top is locked into place.

I haven't figured out why it stopped working, but I can drive it like a regular coup for now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1