07-24-2008, 03:05 PM   #125
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
Swamp, I'm bringing this up again because I got to thinkin' after reading the R & T four-track comparision test - and wondering where in the power spectrum their particular GT-R would be.

Remember that Car & Driver test where they got the Nissan to trap at 124 mph in the quarter mile? (This was followed by two subsequent tests where another sample went 115 or so, and then the low-point 111 mph wounded car.)

Well, the 124 mph figure is bogus. I went back to their test sheet, and apparently they corrected their trap speed by a factor of 1.041103, and the ET by .96084. As you are aware, they correct for a Car & Driver standard day, and since they tested out at Reno (at 4200 feet), they apparently applied those correction factors to the actual observed figures.

BRAAAP! WRONG! THANK YOU FOR PLAYING!

The GT-R can altitude-compensate with turbo boost.

Combine that with the fact that the test conditions were at 44 degrees, and the revised quarter mile trap speed ought to be around 118 mph. That still computes to something over 520 HP, but it's a far cry from 600 or so.

Furthermore, nobody knows how much difference the sophisticated launch control, any-wheels-you-need power transmission and Nissan's version of the DSG/DCT/DKG make. I personally believe that even though there's a weight penalty, the M3 DCT will show up as being both quicker and faster than the standard six-speed in the quarter mile. Since the six-speed cars tested so far tend to show at least as-advertised figures (and some have shown calculated power to be in the 430-450 HP range), the DCT cars will show up as being definitely underrated. As much as the Nissan? Don't know, but it'll be significant.

Bruce

Edit: PS - I didn't say "automatic", because that would jack you up on something completely beside the point in this context. I thunk about it, though.
Nice find and nice detective work! You should write a letter to the editor for sure.

Good use of appropriate terminology as well. I might be done complaining about other transmission taxonomy (well at least your choice). Cheers.
Appreciate 0