OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dash View Post
That looks great fun. I hear they give you a BMW driver training day when you buy the M3. Was that the day you were on? Did you have to pay extra to go on the more advanced training day that uses M3's as opposed to the basic driver training days with 320is?
I take delivery of my M3 this Friday! Mallala (our local circuit in Adelaide) won't quite be as scenic or as fast as Phillip Island.
This was the Advanced II course, part of the deal when you buy an M car.

I was paired up with an M5 owner so we were allowed a bit more "playtime", day starts with laps in a 325i, then oversteer training in the M3 followed by braking and slalom in the 325i and finally laps in the M3 then hot laps with lots of drifting and tyre smoke with the instructor's at the wheel.

I would recommend making the effort to fly over for Phillip Island, hire a car, stay two nights at Cowes. They do travel around the country occasionally but they have a pretty serious setup at the Island. There must have been about a dozen M3s there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
You notice that even the M3 will understeer when entering the corner to fast. In this way it's much like a S5 or RS4.
We were not allowed to use DSC off or MDM, there is nothing you can do in an understeer with DSC on but back off and release some wheel, I suspect in MDM you could fix the understeer. There is no better example of how DSC gives you massive understeer than in the skidpan with pedal flat to the floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardebt View Post
Wow! Really cool stuff. That looked fun and pretty sane. Some of the vids posted look pretty over the top. I think many of the drives are more on the professional level or extremely experienced drivers. Maybe you are too.
I am just an enthusiast, I imagine the rest of the course (about 20 all up) were driving similarly by the end of the day. It is easy when you are following an instructor, on my own it would be a very different story...
Appreciate 0