View Single Post
      11-30-2012, 06:43 AM   #46
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbuzzy View Post
If you don't already have an extended warranty (as the thread suggests) and you have 65K miles on it, then you're already out of warranty. Worrying about an electric water pump that may fail tomorrow or never and that only costs around $1000 seems to be losing sight of your concerns. If you want to save money, why do you want to want to buy a new car? You'll be entering into another financing situation. If you only have 2 yrs of payments left, you own the car after that. No more payments. You can pay yourself every month and build up a reserve to buffer the unexpected cost of a failed water pump, etc. but owning a car AFTER it's paid off doesn't mean you will spend more for repairs. If the car has been maintained properly, the N52 cars seem to be doing quite well for long-term reliability. I'm at 141+K in my '06 and I did proactively replace the water pump recently, as well as the T-stat. It cost about $1100 at a local BMW indy shop. Other work has been wear and tear and car is running good. No payments here!

Good luck with your decision.
My car is CPO'ed. And I could cut my monthly payments AND INSURANCE by 100's of dollers.