View Single Post
      11-16-2010, 06:02 PM   #258
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalshy99 View Post
Im going to run stock 18s as winter wheels and I'm trying to decide on a tire. First I can't decide whether to put the same size tires on front and rear or to stick with the sock staggered sizes. Second is whether to get performance winter tires or ice/snow tires. I'll b daily driving it just north of Boston. What are your thoughts?
Square (all 4 front size) works better in more serious winter weather. Staggered gives better performance and handling on clear roads.

Same choices apply on ice/snow and performance winter.

If you want an ice/snow tire, our only choice is square setup.

If you go performance winter, you can go either way.

Basically, get the best snow traction you can with handling that you can live with.

Rhetorical questions: Do you have situations where you MUST drive, and must use the M3, no matter how awful the weather (ie doctor on call)? If so, you get the ice/snow tire.

Are you more likely to be a) raging with frustration b/c your handling is not sporty enough or b) freaking out because you're sliding down a steep winding road that is iced over?

Is this your only vehicle, or do you have another car to drive if the weather is truly nasty?