05-13-2010, 08:59 PM   #42
alms21
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 GT-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
So you pick a modded, great looking Vette and offer up a bad picture of a very pedestrian looking E90 M3 (sedan) instead of an E92 Coupe? Not a very fair comparison. Really completely stock to completely stock is perhaps the only fair way to compare cars on aesthetics.

Anyway, as you must know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You can't ever reach quorum on "what looks better". That being said a couple of my comments/complaints about the Vette:

-Side vents/ducts (or whatever those are near the rear wheel wells) look very tacked on.
-The front splitter/air dam is hideous on this car as it is on almost all Vette's it also looks and is tacked on - it is one of the first things to get completely destroyed on any car except those with the most careful owners.
-Ditto for the rear mudflaps - come on the 2010 Z06 basically has rear mudflaps. Ugh. Note: You can'st see them in this pic nor very well on a black car.
-The cars greenhouse section looks too small and a bit out of proportion.
-It's front air intake looks like a cartoon robots mouth.

Again, overall I like Vette's, they have some aesthetic and fit and finish issues in my evaluation, but the pic you posted is a darn nice looking car. Although some M3's and some Vette's compete pretty closely in a pure numbers game I don't really think of them as direct competitors anyway. The Z06 and ZR1 are in a completely different performance class. All Vette's are pure 2 seat sports cars. The M3 is more of a sports/GT with 4 very useable seats and a useable trunk. More of a "jack of all trades". Attention to detail, both on the outside, inside and underneath the M3, even on subtle things like insulation, wiring, cover plates, brakets, etc. - things that most folks never even see is, is far superior in the M3. Not that those are the most important things in a car they just contribute to the overall feeling of very good design, seeing engineering in every part, attention to detail and fit and finish.

Just my rambling 2 cents.
I think I said post up your (not necessarily you) best picture of an M3 did I not? BTW, I've got better Z06 pictures than that I posted as well.

Stock vs stock -- the Z06 and Grand Sport is much more appealing to me. The regular C6 and M3 I view as a draw. I do agree 100% that looks are subjective. I just feel the M3 is rather soft looking and 95% of the general population couldn't tell an M3 from a 335.

The rear air ducts appear stuck on? Never heard that one before.

The front splitter on ANY car is "tacked" on. Do you really think any car comes with an integrated front splitter built into the front nosepiece? --- see Porsche 997GT3

They aren't "mud flaps" they are integrated to stop rock/stone kickups from the massive rear tires.

WTF is a greenhouse section?

Sorry, the front air intake looks fantastic on the Z06/GS

I find it funny you talk about looks being subjective and nearly all of your "nits" have to do with "looks"

Comments on e92M3 - since you made comments on the looks, fair game for me to do the same on the M3, yes?

The bubble on the hood is circa 1994 Eagle Talon
The car is odd looking from the side --- way too long for a two door coupe
(It just looks weird to me from the driver's door to the rear bumper).
Rear end of the car looks soo skinny with the exhaust in the center of the rear bumper
Car is a pig in terms of weight
What's up with those side mirrors?
The shark fin on the roof sticks out like a sore thumb (I know because I have to look at mine on my 335 everyday)

I will say this --- the front end of the M3 is fantastic looking and one of the best out there. I think it's a fantastic car but I think BMW left alot on the table in terms of styling.
Appreciate 0