josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smohr33 View Post
Put the numbers on paper and it will make more sense. Please don't take offense to any of this, I'm just a realist.

You have income of $3600 a year plus your internship. I have no idea what your internship nets you but say you bring home $10000 for both jobs after all is said and done.

If you're car payment is $450 a month, you're spending $5400 a year on just payments. Then you have to insure it ($1000+), and put fuel in it ($1000+). You're now spending 75%+ of your income for this car, and those are conservate figures as I'm sure you're insurace will be higher (assuming under 25, 300hp $30-40k car). You have $2500 left to eat, pay off student loans, spend on discretionary items, etc... Even if you're bringing home twice as much, you're still spending way too much of your income on the car.

It doesn't add up. This is basically a case study of why so many Americans are in debt. Go lease a Honda Civic for $100 a month to get you through college. You'll have a warranty, a safe reliable car, and money to live. You can always buy the BMW when you get out of school and get a good job.
I agree. If you have to get a different car, get a new, cheap car with warranty.
Appreciate 0