02-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #13
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elh0102 View Post
One of my favorite cars was a 996 series GT3, which has no stability or traction control. I put a lot track and road miles on it without incident. I think the fact is, experienced or well trained drivers will learn any car's handling dynamics, regardless of electronic gadgets. Conversely, those of us ill prepared to drive, will find a way to crash a Prius. IMO, DSC is a useful tool on the street, as it can do things that cannot be done by any driver, which can save you in an emergency situation. Depending on the specific application, it can also by useful on track. But, anyone interested in learning high performance should put in a lot of time without it.
This is a good statement of how I feel, as well. That is why I like autocross, to learn car control. IMHO it's better than track time, because it's very easy to get your car past it's limits autocrossing and only hit a cone or 10. On a track, if you over cook a corner you could be hitting a wall at 120MPH. I've been considering autocrossing my car just to get more seat time, in a safe enviroment, at the limit. I just don't drive 10/10ths at the track, but always have when I used to autocrossed for a few seasons.

Last edited by MKE_M3; 02-25-2012 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0