07-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #48
spiff
The Dr
Rep
Drives: M20 Saloon, F800S

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorcoleman View Post
OP: my sincere congrats on your M3!

I'm not saying that 2 years in college and 2 years in film school were not grueling for you (it was grueling if you say it was grueling). I'm also not saying that there is some absolute threshold of sacrifice that one must achieve to feel legitimately proud to have earned an M3 (or anything else for that matter). That too is subjective.

In fact, I see no practical relationship between one's level of education/sacrifice and the decision to purchase an M3. To me that's not relevant.

So if that's not relevant to me, I find it curious why I think that 2 years in college and 2 years in film school does not warrant enough sacrifice to feel legitimately proud to purchase an M3. Who am I to judge what's deserved or not?

I see the flaw with my conclusion but I comment anyway. Maybe I can be enlightened as to why a connection was made between your schooling and the M3. Regardless, unless an M3 was acquired illegally, a hearty congratulations is always in order!
I agree with you, I think I may have misinterpreted Wall$streets sarcasm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall$treet View Post
I honestly thought he might be just being super sarcastic. Typically pop-culture and most people consider "city college" or community college something to joke about that "everyone does" and is kind of a "joke" in pop-culture world. Especially literally calling it "city college" is a reference to many movie jokes.

Its kind of if I came on here saying "after 4 grueling years of high-school, I totally deserve an m3!"

Not that I may not deserve it but you are posting about something that virtually everyone goes through and is thought to be rather routine.

Of course who knows each persons experience and not taking away from the grueling nature of the OP's experience-so that is why I clarified. But that was the reasoning behind it-it almost sounded like a joke when you also read his gf post also discussing how grueling community college was. Just seemed over the top! But as I said-congrats to the OP and welcome to the forum!
Yeah, I think I may have misinterpreted your statement earlier (or at least missed the sarcasm), hehe.

I guess after so many threads where young people get bashed it can get kind of old. Not that I am affected by it, but I never see anyone (after being questioned) actually give a half-decent response regarding their educational history.

No harm no foul

Regardless, I am absolutely happy and thrilled to be enjoying this car and can't wait for it to hit the track!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw16 View Post
I read it as sarcasim too.

I'm not one to really care how people spend their money, but I do chuckle at bit that after 4 long years of post-high school education someone has earned a $60k+ car.
I chuckled as well, right after the top of 2nd gear shifting into 3rd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W Cole View Post
First of all congrats to the OP! I'm currently in a similar situation myself except I'm going for a jet black m3 coupe and the gf is looking for a standard 3er alpine white sedan.

Completely OT but for me community college, although not exceedingly challenging academically was very difficult. I felt like a complete failure for being there and I knew I had absolutely no margin for error - if I didnt get perfect grades I wouldn't be able to transfer to the school I wanted to. Thankfully in the end it all worked out. I would say community college was much more stressful for me than college at a top tier university (not as if that was very stressful) and more so than my current job.
You have some great points there, and I felt like that as well. A lot of stress to get into the school that will get you the training and experience needed JUST to get the right interview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointerman View Post
Not slamming anyone for doing community college. It is a smart investment and saves a bundle over doing all 4 years at a University. Just saying that after a year in the real world I would feel like "holy cows what I a lucky schmuck I am to be able to afford a car like this". Not, "wow I have really suffered long and hard and deserve a car like this."

Many people work their entire lives and can never afford something so amazing. Count your blessings and understand that it can all go away virtually overnight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick123 View Post
What a nice garage, I'm jealous! I cant wait til my fiance gets done with Med School so I can start buying some toys.
A lucky schmuck is one way to put it, but I guess what I look back on first is all the networking I did(social), hard hours in the editing room, and countless everything else involved in college. I tried to finish college as efficiently as possible and it definitely required a lot of effort!

Oh btw guys, I just finished working on Captain America, and FX Guide just posted a fantastic article about the company I work for and the work we did on the movie.

Speaking of which, the first two frames shown (where they are holding glasses to a cheers) is MY SHOT! Just saw this article today and am SO STOKED that my shot made it!

Woo!

Link to article:
http://www.fxguide.com/featured/case...-america-wimp/

Thanks everyone!