View Single Post
      09-08-2013, 11:27 PM   #67
dvpouldar26
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 328i, Porsche 987.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMD View Post
I'm a high school senior thinking about where I'm going to go. My #1 school is Miami, #2 is Georgetown, and #3 & #4 are Maryland and Alabama. I'm sure I can get into Miami and Maryland and Bama are my affordable backup schools. I want to major in Economics and eventually go to Medical or Dental School.

Where did/do you go? Would you go there again?
Any of those schools are good choices. Maryland's advantage is that it is close to Hopkins, and you have the top medical school in the country to do shadowing at, do research etc, however, I would still probably go to UMiami or Georgetown. Really, what matters most is your performance in the school and what you do, not the school itself. I went to UCLA and majored in Physiological Sciences myself. An econ major might be a good choice since medical schools do like applicants who bring something else to the table other than science majors. (my 2 close friends who were Econ majors are at UCLA and UWash for med school). Again your performance in the school is what matters most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastdoc View Post
Advice worth considering. I'm 3 years into practice and still over $200k in debt. I went into med school with 20k in my pocket too.

Undergrad: UW Seattle, BS Biochemistry
Med School: Albany Medical College
Residency: Wake Forest

I agree with an Econ major (or similar). The Bio and Chem classes can be taken separately and as long as you have them, nobody will care if it wasn't your major. In fact, it can make you a more rounded candidate. Besides, Pchem was NOT good for my GPA. Got a 27 on the final and I think I had the 2nd or 3rd highest score.
Small world! I'm a 1st year med student at Albany Med.
Jet Black / Gloss Black Grilles / 8000k D1S low beam / 6000k HID fogs / GP Thunder 8500k angels & cornering bulbs / black reflectors / gloss black vinyled window trim / tints / smoked rear turn signals / black roundels / AC Schnitzer roof spoiler / VRS style decklid spoiler / Matte black Stripes / Rear fogs / matte mirrors / 19" LM reps / APR lip

Last edited by dvpouldar26; 09-08-2013 at 11:37 PM..
Appreciate 0