10-28-2011, 08:30 AM   #38
driftmotion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: i3, 335i GT, e46 M3 vert SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
if you don't plan on driving much in heavy snow, all-seasons should be okay. I have all-seasons this year. In last year's snowfall I also used all-seasons, though I had a AWD car last year, no problems....
I have to disagree, all seasons, although may be ok, don't have the best rubber composition for cold weather. Even if we don't see that much snow here, temperatures do drop in the evening and it can make driving at night a bit dangerous(with black ice and all). Let's not forget that we are not driving 100hp FWD honda civics here... I mean for me traction is always an issue and I care not for having the traction control limit MY control of the vehicle. After growing up in Canada and driving in winter conditions, I think that it's important not to underplay the elements. Worst case ... your tires may not have the same adherence as your summer ones do .. although neither is the pavement warm enough to take advantage of them anyways, and since winter only lasts about 3 months, you won't be wearing them down too quick and should get a few seasons out of them!

As always, just my 2 cents. I don't mean to offend anyone!
Appreciate 0