06-20-2011, 08:35 PM   #17
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBspeed View Post
It is less focused because once you offer the automatic transmission, the car is more accessible to those buying it purely for the status or reputation. What these people actually want is a luxury car that people will respect as a sports car, not an actual focused sports car.

Consequently the modern M3 is not designed for the same customer as the E30 M3 was, which is sad for people like me who wish it was still designed with the same philosophy as the E30.
Well, let's agree to disagree overall.

IMO, the choice of transmission does NOT change the fact that a car is more or less sports focused. If the E30 M3 had a DCT, would it make it any less of a car? Have you driven a DCT for more than 10 minutes?

I do agree that E92 is not as focused as the E30 was but that is true of most cars today. Also, that lack of "focus" is NOT about transmission choice but rather the car overall... you know, 16 speakers, power everything, i-drive, sound deadening material, etc.

If you think DCT makes the car less "focused" then I think you are missing the point of DCT and are bringing your own personal biases into this... which, I guess is OK as our own bias is what drives our opinions on everything... like I said, let's just say we disagree.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0