01-29-2009, 10:40 AM   #17
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagos View Post
I agree with you that it did make sense to buy in the US before but I think it doesn't make sense anymore to buy it from the US these days.

Because the dollar is down, you can't finance or lease it if you buy it from the US, and not to mention the hassle of going there and bringing the car here during bad weather. Also, I am sure the cost of buying from the US is more than the $2700 you mentioned and there is other costs involved such as traveling expenses, RIV fees, duty, and other misc. costs.
You're right! There are more costs involved and right now it probably wouldn't as worth it.

I bought the car and got a friend who owns new car dealer here in T.O. to do the brokerage and arrange transport. I paid $120 to have the car inspected by a 3rd party inspector who gave me a full report on the particular car I was buying, making sure that the it was not in an accident and had a clear carfax (even thought it only had 800 miles when I bought it but you never know).

Then I had to pay state sales tax, plus PST/GST at the border, AND 6.1% import tax because the car was not built in the US or Canada. Transportation in a closed trasport truck was $1200 and that's about it.

All in all, I still saved 10 grand!!
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0