View Single Post
      12-12-2017, 04:15 PM   #36
BuiltnBoostedZ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 535ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxp213 View Post
I don't see why I need to lock up a dog when with proper training, they should be able to roam around at home freely without any harm to self or its environment.

Fortunately, my dog is very docile and doesn't do any kind of damage. I just lay out a pee pad for her to use when I'm gone for extended period of time (she usually just holds until I come home but I also come back for lunch everyday).
They aren't robots. Every dog has its own ticks/issues/etc. Plenty of reason to crate train. You have company over that doesn't like dogs. They sleep on your stuff when you're gone. They tear shit up. All kinds of reason. When I started working from home, my pits would be out all the time. I had a camera setup in my movie room. My male pit would lay on the back cushions of the couch as soon as I would leave. When he heard my car pull up, he'd jump off and lay on the ground like he was good the entire time. Smart dogs will do these kinds of things. Remy had people eyes....and a huge vocabulary...No amount of correction, training, spanks, or scolding would deter him. He was very head strong and does what he wants to a degree.

I remember Thanksgiving one year....the turkey was on the table...everyone got one round. I was headed to the garage and I told my brother in laws...watch remy....he's been eyeing that turkey. I didn't make it 5 steps with my back turned and he was on a chair going to town on the turkey. I turned around and started yelling at the brother in laws....like dude...not 5 seconds ago I said watch him....now the turkey is fucked. WTG.

These types of behaviors you just have to recognize and be creative with. Especially in strong headed breeds.