11-30-2010, 11:55 PM   #34
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post
But if my MacBook Air (I don't have an Air) can do everything an iPad can do, then it really just comes down to mobility, no?
It really depends on what's important to you. For me, there were three big selling points for the iPad - the light weight, the 10-hour battery life, and the cheap unlimited data plan. I had a 2lb. Sony TZ150 with a $79/month data plan. The iPad is a lb lighter, lasts 3 times as long on battery and is $50/month cheaper for data, meaning that is a year I've recouped the cost of the device itself.

People will grouse about the lowered productivity of the iPad, but it's like cars - a lot more people want 500hp than actually need 500hp. I get pretty much everything done on my iPad that I did with my laptop; the only real downside was the much smaller drive capacity.

Currently, I use an app called Splashtop Remote, which lets me access my home computer from anywhere and view it on my iPad. That means I can run Office programs, watch DVDs or Flash videos, access my external drives, the whole 9 yards. Then I switch out and use the iPad and its apps for the other 90% of what I want to do, which is more media consumption than productivity. All using something smaller and lighter than the latest issue of Evo. Pretty cool.
Appreciate 0