View Single Post
      09-14-2011, 04:23 PM   #4
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Wait, you turned down a car loan over a measly $1K, even with a full set of 18" wheels (those aren't cheap!) thrown in?? Over the life of the loan -- never mind the car -- $1K is practically nothing if it's a car you really want, and I can't imagine that'd be the difference between fiscally responsible and irresponsible unless the number you're ok with is already stretching you very near to breaking point.

That said, if you're not going to the track, then you should only get the M3 if you at least plan to do a lot of spirited driving on back country roads with lots of twisties and little to no traffic. If you'll only be driving in the city or on straight roads the only differences you'll see with the M3 are less torque, worse fuel mileage, and increased fuel and insurance costs. The engine sound is addictive, there's no doubt about that, but that alone probably won't be enough to rationalize your loan to yourself.

I would say test drive the M3 and decide that way, but if you test drive it odds are you'll just fall in love and buy it, so you may not want to do that. So instead I'll say think long and hard about the type of driving you'll be doing and whether you believe you'll honestly spend enough time driving in areas and in ways where the differences between these cars will be apparent and appreciated.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0