View Single Post
      09-10-2010, 05:56 PM   #11
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
I was actually in the market for an Elise before I purchased my 335. I've always loved Lotus so naturally as soon as I was in a position to buy one I started checking them out. Go on lotustalk.com, there are plenty of people who DD their Lotus Elise/Exiges. I forgot to check OP's location but there are a few guys who even run snow tires on them. So it isn't impossible, but after driving an Elise I knew it would've taken much more commitment than I had in me to have one as an only car.

As unbelievably fun it was to drive, there a few things in the back of my mind sticking out that I knew would have to be overcome, and in the end, the shear state of the roads around Chicago was enough to make think twice. I have hit bumps without warning (ie no signs, visual clue, etc) that have rocked my 335 so hard my radar detector has popped off my windshield. That same bump in an Elise is causing damage, and a cracked shell is very expensive. Insurance was another issue for me - after finally finding a company that would insure an Elise, doing the math put it at about twice as expensive to insure than a 335.

There are also of course the day to day things that depend on whether or not the person can live with it. There are no cupholders in the Lotus (there are aftermarket ones, but even our E9x cupholders put those to shame), and the radio is simply pathetic in sound quality and turning it up does nothing to drone out engine noise if that starts to get to you - just adds more noise to the mix. Tire life also seems to be below average on the standard suspension/wheel package, and downright ridiculous for the sport suspension/wheels.

I would love to have an Elise as a 2nd car, but overall I'm more than happy with the "jack of all trades" characteristic of the E9x as I am in a position to only have 1 car for now. Of course, this is just my experience/opinion, if you want the Lotus, I won't tell you not to buy one. But the fact that you're asking makes me think you are somewhat in a position that I was...you really want the Lotus but aren't sure if you'll love it or if it will annoy the shit out of you.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any further questions as I will try and keep up with this thread but often forget to come into this section of the forum - if it is the case I'm not responding shoot me a PM if it is specifically my input you are interested in.

Appreciate 0