GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
BER

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I sure BER will improve mpg, but very slightly. Also for the millionth time BMW chose a bad name, BER has NOTHING to do with the cars braking system. Here is my reasoning.
I think you're right. From the little we know, it sounds like the alternator is charged anytime the car is in a deceleration mode, whether braking or not. It would be tough to capture braking energy without alternators directly tied to the wheels like hybrids have. I would guess on long trips at steady speed the alternator is going to have to cut in at some point.

Quote:
Lastly, I think it is nothing but rumor that the US cars will not get BER. I heard something about the system requiring a totally new type of battery and getting it approved for some regulations could not be done in a timely fashion. I sure hope we get it. An alternator can consume between 5-10 hp. If we don't get BER it will impact not only our mpg but also our performance of US cars.
I agree--US cars will have it. I can't imagine anything special this system demands of the battery, and even if so that's a small deal. And, fuel economy numbers in the US are important to BMW.

Quote:
Some responses herein are not leaving me with a warm fuzzy feeling of confidence about BMW educators and technicians...
I don't think the educators in question are related to BMW in any way. Sounds like a general technical school

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0