08-25-2014, 04:02 PM   #4757
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Getty has sold a couple of my images for advertisements. The prices vary widely based on how widely it'll be distributed (think dentist office tri-fold vs. national TV campaign), how long it will be used and, believe it or not, the actual resolution of the image (the more pixels the better).

So far, the usage of my images was limited distribution and the highest License fee was $800. I just negotiated a direct sale with a non-profit to use one of my images in a calendar with distribution to 50,000 members. It was a non-exclusive License and Royalty Free for $600 (bargain price vs. Getty).

I know that Getty gets thousands for some high distribution images, but I can't really give much more guidance than that.

I think that you're describing essentially Stock, non-exclusive use for publicity, not sales of the image or a product. If it were an assignment or were going to be resold, then pricing would be entirely different and higher or include a Royalty.

So, for example, if it's going in a program and a few hundred will be printed, then you might charge only $200 for full-page usage. If it's going to be the cover that 100,000 will see, then maybe more like $1,200 to $1,500 would be appropriate. Indicate flexibility to negotiate, but don't bid against yourself. If they balk at your first price, ask them where their comfort zone might be.

BTW, if anyone is recognizable in the image, you may need a model release. That need can vary a lot, depending on the circumstances where the shot was taken.

Congrats.