View Single Post
      05-28-2010, 09:52 AM   #50
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
This was consistent with many others who had their service done before 1250 miles and could not get the flag until they had passed 1250 on the odometer.
Yes, that part I agree with, but as I say I believe there is a set of conditions that will let the flag come on but LC still not work. Some of the ones I recall could have been cases that boiled down to user error - that part I am not sure on.

Quote:
Whether a service indicator light would preclude the flag from coming on, I don't know that for sure,
Me neither. But remember, 1200 miles is just an estimate. The car tells you when its ready for service. And to wit - mine didn't put up the warning lamp until passed 1300 miles. I never actually tried a full LC before that (certainlly didn't want to rev the car to redline and hammer on it before the service) but to the best of my recollection I could indeed get the flag prior to service. However, I don't know if LC was truly still disabled at that point or not. It makes that it would be though otherwise why bother not allowing LC to begin with (which we know the car does do)?

Quote:
but in this case I don't think that's the issue, because a) He is getting the flag, just not functionality after that, and b) I would assume he would have noticed by now, and mentioned, that he has a service indicator light that was not cleared.
I agree it seems unlikely at this point. With my original post on the matter I was really just throwing out possibilities. I was making the assumption (perhaps a poor one) that he was executing the procedure properly since it was detailed in the thread already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
There is a detent at the bottom of the throttle travel, kind of like the kickdown on an automatic transmission. Push the throttle all the way, then push a little harder and you feel a little click. Don't know if "detent" is the right word to use, but that's the best I can do as far as describing it.
I think detent is a good work for it. It's what I've always used. Not sure who "coined" the application of the term to the DCT gas pedal, but I want to say it was swamp2. Good idea to think of that, BTW. It is indeed easy to overlook the fact that the car has the detent, especially if you are coming from a car with manual transmission.
Appreciate 0