View Single Post
      09-19-2007, 02:17 PM   #19
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Nation View Post
^^^ yea, usually the kit lenses arent too special, but on most flagship cameras the supplied lens is really good. For canon I know that the "L" series lenses are the best Canon offers and that cameras like the 1d and the 5d come with an L series lens, its just up to you to decide what focal range best suites you from that point on. I personally just sold the lens that came with my camera and finally worked up the cash to buy an L series lens from canon (17-40) so im really really happy about that. And just like dmuniz said, you can carry your lenses on from camera body to camera body (of the same brand of course). I dont know what Nikon's equalivalent of the canon L series lenses would be (by that i mean that im not sure what line of lenses is nikons best) but find out and start saving for one. They are not only sharp as ever, but these top notch lenses are also pretty durable.
Nikon's top line lenses are denoted with the AF-S designation. Nikon lenses fall into two basic catagories, AF-S and non AF-S. The AF-S lenses have ultrasonic motors in the lens for AF, traditionally have wide fixed aperatures in the zooms (although not always now), and are generally really friggin' expensive. My 17-35 f/2.8 AF-S set one back $1400 when it was new. It's also regarded as one of the best wide angle zooms they ever made. A similar 18-35mm non-afs with ED glass and aspheryical elements may only cost you a few hundred dollars.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended

Last edited by TurboFan; 09-19-2007 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 0