Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
IMO benvo that's totally norma. and you say the car runs fine. I have looked and numerous m3 as well as reg bmw and all seem to have a little rattle while cold.

Ever hear a car start after an oil change?? For a second it sounds like marbles in a can until the head is pressurized. I'm sorry but I really don't get these threads.

My car makes a noise, but runs great so I am going to the dealer with M3posts threads and demand they look at it. Just freaking drive the cars. When they break, then fix them

At worst we are hearing an exaggerated rattle from the chain tensioner while the car is cold and the heads are dry as the oil is sitting in the pan. I've asked before, where are people parking there cars? inclines may exaggerate the issue. I would keep an eye on it, but if you're not hearing the noise while driving the car and it runs fine, who cares?
I hear what you are saying. But just because the car drives absolutely perfectly doesn't mean that this rattle will not ultimately develop into something that is more serious. If multiple people had this fixed under warranty, it's obviously something that BMW considers abnormal. Otherwise they would have said that this is standard operation and would not have spent money on repairs, like they do with all sorts of other quirks these cars have.

My car is parked on a flat surface at home. I rarely park on an incline overnight, so I am unsure as to if this exacerbates the issue or not.

If the car breaks, I would obviously fix it. But I would rather be the burden of this repair be on BMW instead of my wallet, particularly if there is some correlation between the repairs needed and this noise. I'm not running to the dealer with threads and demanding they fix anything.

Ignoring it is not really a realistic scenario unless ALL cars do it and BMW claims that it is normal and can specifically say WHAT is making the noise, or what is causing the noise. I would prefer that the dealer rip my vanos apart and replace whatever is causing that noise, even though the car runs like an absolute dream with zero problems. I would chalk it up in my head as preventative maintenance.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----

Last edited by BPMSport; 10-25-2012 at 11:51 PM..
Appreciate 0