Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Let's revisit this in a year or two...I'm sure a lot of people will jump ship to the F8X.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Don't disagree! I bought an E60 545 back in Dec 2003 and the E39 guys were the same way. Many ultimately made the jump. Same for E60 to F10... We E9X folks are no different. The new version sucks, blah, blah, blah... Some will not buy and take their money elsewhere. But for many the new design will grow on them and they will ultimately buy one. And I count myself in that camp. Not a big fan now but we'll what's out there in two-to-three years and decide then...
I'm sure you guys are right and many will eventually come around to the F8x, but it's different now compared to when the E46 M3 came out, and then when the E9x M3 came out. They stuck to the traditional core //M principles of a high reving, race engine inspired motor. The motors in the //M cars were always special and would win engine of the year awards all the time.

This new car has essentially NO CORE //M principles in it. It has some cool tech and carbon fiber tech in it, but the engine is a joke, and clearly a way for BMW to make more money as the MAIN factor and better fuel economy as a secondary factor, but the fuel economy is the one they MARKET as the main reason for going FI. It's not like BMW sells huge volumes of M3's. How much better is the S55 than FBO tuned N54?? I'm sure it's more reliable since it'll be designed fro 430HP stock, but it sounds like SH$T compared to the other BMW turbo 6's.
There's just nothing special about the S55, IMO... but I'm the 2% and not the 98% who will buy the F80 and never track it, but will LOVE the torque down low and the push in the back it'll give them so they feel like they're going so fast. That's who BMW is selling the car too now.

If you cite core M principles...original M cars were hand built homologation specials. In other words...they were built to meet a rule. But there has been an evolution where the opposite is true. Race cars are now based off the street car.

If you look at the P1 and 918...they represent they future of performance vehicles. Wouldn't be surprised if the next M cars used hybrid technology from the i8.

M has evolved...I now see the division as a synergy between technology, innovation, performance, and affordability. The one thing that M did for BMW was to test CFRP for lower cost mass production. So M cars have what super cars have.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0