12-31-2011, 02:59 PM   #16
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
I have actually heard something that BMW is going to start making less M models as times goes on. We saw it with the 1M only 2500 or so units, which resulted in huge mark ups and fast selling units.

I have a feeling that BMW will try to make the car a little more exclusive and in return raise the prices. supply and demand, but we will see.
I doubt that will be the case, Jimmy. If you look at the BMW roadmap over the next 12-36 months, you'll see that the company plans on making more M models than not. Just off the top of my head:

Cars with M models:
  • 2-series
  • 3-series
  • 4-series
  • 5-series
  • 6-series
  • 6-series GranCoupe
  • X3
  • X4
  • X5
  • X6

Cars without M models:
  • 1-series (F20)
  • 7-series
  • X1
  • Z2
  • Z4*

*Could likely get one in the future.

As you can see, the list of those cars with an M model is significantly greater than those without. Compare that with just a few years ago, when the M badge was limited to just 4 models, and one can understand why people complain about the brand's dilution.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem