07-03-2008, 12:27 AM   #33
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
This all makes sense. The transmission seems very intelligent, and it works in a predictable manner. This is definitely a good thing. However, it does remain that it is a reactive system and not a proactive one (unlike LC). It seems that it would benefit if there was a way (call it Launch Assist, mini-LC or whatever) to tell the car to pre-rev to some specified RPM (something less "harsh" than LC), and to begin to let the clutch out a bit before the mashing of the accelerator (again, in a manner less harsh than LC). This would no doubt increase wear and tear on the car (as well as make things more complex from a UI point of view), but I think it is this kind of thing that we may see on dual clutch systems going forward. I'm not sure how what the best way to implement this would be, but I think the engineers will figure it all out.

Of course none of this is going to stop me from choosing M-DCT outright. If it feels right on the test drive, then I'm in.
Sure, I agree. It would be nice to have a "LC-lite". I would simply implement that as follows. Works in any D or S mode. Hold shift lever forward (consistency with LC "UI") put the gas where you want it (any rpm) and let go of the lever. The result would (obviously) depend on the current state of DSC and would provide a decent clutch drop and fairly hard and precisely timed launch but with the gas pedal controlled rpm and with less harshness than full LC.

Automated manual software is at something like "v2.0" with the M3, GT-R and Evo. I'm sure versions 3, 4, etc. will be even better. But again, that being said I find it really hard to find many faults of any real significance in the M-DCT.
Appreciate 0