View Single Post
      07-01-2008, 07:57 PM   #28
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

There are two issues here (and maybe three from imprecise language) let's make sure we are precise and keep them separate.

1. "Lag". Commonly used to describe the feeling of the throttle mapping and clutch engagement in M-DCT when taking off from a stop. The car simply feels a bit slow and feels like it takes quite a bit of throttle to get her moving. This effect is clearly and effectively reduced by simply pressing the gas faster and further.

1a. "Shift delay" (some call this lag as well). More noticeable when upshifting compared to downshifting and more noticeable and lengthy when in an intermediate throttle range. When you click the lever or paddle and carefully watch the tach there is a very short (on the order of tens of milliseconds, I'd guess) delay after the stick/paddle actuation until you see the beginning of the shift as evidenced by the change in rpm. When you are at high throttle and shifting close to redline this M-DCT can more effectively guess the proper next gear thereby reducing this lag. This delay is often even more insignificant when upshifting. Either way it is very short and IMHO does not detract from the experience unless you really obsess about it.

2. "Lag". Much better described as "launch preparation delay (without LC)". When you want to really take off hard but you are not using LC the system is aware of what you want and adapts, changing the clutch engagement orchestration. When you want to take off at slow or medium pace the clutch for 1st gear begins to engage immediately upon any pressure to the pedal. In this way the take off feels much like a good auto or a MT and provides immediate movement of the car. However, when you really want to take off harder and move the gas pedal very fast and very far the system knows what you are doing, lets the revs build, holds the clutch on 1st open and then at a fixed/high rpm almost drops the clutch like LC. This is REQUIRED behavior to get a harder launch with a near clutch drop. It would definitely not be a good idea to simply slip the clutch out regardless of the gas pedal travel and speed starting from a dead stop. You could not get a harder launch. You may hate this (Davo does) as it can interfere with timing a stop light drag race but do ask yourself should the system really work any other way? Clearly it is doing the absolute best it can. If you do not like this delay the obvious choice is to use LC, which has absolutely no such effect. (Note JEllis: when you took a spin in my car we never took off hard enough to experience this delay).

I think I have summarized all of these effects about four times now. Maybe at some point it will be clear, but I won't keep my fingers crossed. It never hurts to read!
Appreciate 0