View Single Post
      02-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #123
M3takesNYC
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
1) centrifugal force and inertia are the reasons why the wheels and tires need to be the same size and weight..... Remember this was a software test and not a test of which car is faster! Centrifugal force and inertia act differently then adding weight to the chassis of the car... i.e passengers.

2) burning a couple of tanks of fuel ensures that the tanks have fuel that is not a mixture of a few different octane ratings which give a cocktail that would be impossible to determine without sampling it and testing it for the AKI or RON number.
Since these engines are so dependant on timing to make power, fuel is one of the most important factors here. That ionic knock sensing system can be your friend or your enemy depending on fuel quality. One example of the octane rating being skewed would be if any of the cars had ethanol blended fuel in them (although not as common in Europe it is still available). Ethanol has a tendency to settle to the bottom of the tank which could put the pump in pure ethanol which has an RON rating of 108.6 and an AKI of 99, pretty easy to tell what effect that would have on timing, right? So again the couple tanks of fuel are just to ensure what is in the tank as an assurance of fuel type an octane rating of the fuel in both cars.

I am not going to waste any more time discussing this with you than what is above. Advise the OP's on the proper testing method since you think you know that should be and none of the rest of us do!!!

Also, kindly overlook any of my posts as I won't reply if all you want to do is try and discredit. You haven't attempted to add any value to this thread whatsoever, you were just there to jump on someone you didn't agree with. I have already established a reputation on this forum and I hold a government issued license that is recognized world wide saying that i am qualified to work on engines, not to mention hundreds of hours of technical training and tens of thousands of hours of experience. Fortunately I don't need your blessing to uphold either my licence or my reputation.

To the OP's I will reply to any questions and I hope this ends up being a fun and informative process for you guys.

*NOTE: I wrote this post on my iPhone and apologize in advance of any grammatical or spelling errors in. I will clean it up when I get in front of a computer.
Its ok, you are just not addressing the points I bring up. Rotational weight or chassis weight of course matters. However not if two cars run equally. Equal is equal. How it runs equally matters not unless the reason would cause the car to respond differently to a tune which weight obviously would not. I am not saying rotational weight would not have a much bigger benefit than chassis weight on a single cars performance but when looking at compariing two, as long as they accelerate the exact same, it does not matter how their weight or setup is distributed for a straight line test..

If you both fill up at the same station, do a few pulls and both have spark plugs changed within the same relative period, than also given the stock cars pulled equally, multiple tanks is simply not at all necessary.

Not discrediting you but you also fail to actually address the point but rather give another arguement for a different situation. You seemingly can't see the point and assumption that the first step is two cars running equal on a stock ECU. I obviously agree this step needs to happen or else subsequent tests are meaningless but when and if they are equal all of that other stuff about wheels and distribution of weight is meaningless
Appreciate 0