05-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
irish_tyrant
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 E92

How to replace charcoal (EVAP) fuel canister

Hey all,

I need some help finding and a how-to on replacing the charcoal canister.

I overfilled the gas tank the other day (from dead empty to full) and the car immediately started running rough. I put 40kms on it that day and the next morning got about 2 min from the house and it stared to run really rough. Then I got an "Engine Malfunction - Reduced Power" notification. I immediately took it home and drove my truck to work.

From doing some searching I believe I may have flooded the charcoal canister (the activated charcoal filter according to BMW) and I think that's whats throwing the codes.

The first code is "Lambda probe pump current synchronisation error before cat Bank 1" the rest are cylinder misfire codes.

I can't find much info on where the canister is or how to change it out, only that it's $300 from the dealership. I plan to do a full warning/DIY after I've sorted this out but if someone could point me in the right direction, much appreciated.

(Moved from "Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs", could one of the moderators delete the thread in the "wash, wax..." section? Thanks,)
Appreciate 0