Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
The buyers remorse argument is a little silly. You have to draw the line somewhere right? Or else we'd all have Ohlins TTX or similar $15k setup?
I think it certainly applies and especially for car mods since budgets are generally limited. So it all comes down to a trade off somewhere down the line. Either you spend less or wait longer to buy something over time. I can think of many examples where if I would have spent a little more and been a little more patient, I would have been happier and spent less money in the long run.

Honestly, your statement makes no sense. Of course there is a limit. As an example, you're saying if I was comparing an 330Ci vrs Lexus is300 vrs Infiniti G35 vrs Audi A4...all within my price range...then I look at an e46 M3 which I can also afford. You're saying that I can also consider an M5...because if I get the M3 I might regret not getting the M5 I cannot afford. If the OP cannot afford the JRZs then its an easy decision but he asked for information on the comparison because he likely can afford either system.

For example, I wanted to buy a 4 wheel BBK for my 330. I had saved up for a 4 wheel stoptech but ended up spending $1500 less on a UUC/Wilwood BBK. Let's say I spent much more in pads and rotors and really didn't get a big benefit in braking power or heat capacity. I ended up going with the Stoptechs 3 years later and now I am very happy. I sold the kit and lost $1800 in depreciation plus the 3 sets of rotors and 6 sets of pads I chewed through.

I estimate that if I had the Stoptechs from the get go, I would have went through fewer pads and rotors and never paid that $1800 in depreciation. Maybe I would have had to rebuild the calipers...about $300 for all 4 corners.

That's my example of buyer's remorse. I think that certainly applies here in a coilover decision. Its never just swapping out some parts. Alignments, setup, some parts (i.e. spring perches) need to be redone. Plus whatever time you spent tweaking your system because you're trying to get the best setup is wasted. All of that time on the track costs. That's the approach I took when looking at coilovers.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue

Last edited by bigjae1976; 08-22-2012 at 07:39 PM..
Appreciate 0