View Single Post
      06-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

MRF X-Pipe - 24 HP/18 TQ gains OVER the Akra Evo?!? Something's in the Kool-Aid

EDIT - I re-dyno'd this car about a month after this initial post. The gains were even higher the second time through, to my amazement. PEAK gains rose to 24HP/18TQ over the Akra, as opposed to the 16.5/16.5 gains posted in my first run from the initial post. Midrange Gains became a consistent 30HP/25TQ over the Akra. Top End Gains became 28HP/18TQ over the Akra. And the final tally on my car is now 581HP/377TQ - again all on 91 octane.

Check out POST #130 of this thread for a full discussion with Dyno charts of the most recent results.

__________________________________________________ ________________

ORIGINAL POST
Background:

Having recently supercharged my car to an ESS VT2-625, I’ve been on a bit of a quest to maximize my torque and power output. I came across this THREAD where forum member Longboarder (well-known for his Airstrip videos) was putting down shockingly high amounts of HP and Torque for the amount of boost he was producing, and I was quickly intrigued. I picked up a conversation with Longboarder about the details of his build, and it turns out that the only really unique part of his build (compared to the majority of us who are running ESS VT2-625 + Akra EVO) is his “Velaforza” X-Pipe – a low production X-Pipe (and full exhaust system) that was being produced by MRF Engineering for a while. Everything else he was running was pretty stock and trade.

That led me to wonder whether Longboarder’s car was just a freak from the factory, or if his horsepower and torque gains were coming as a result of the MRF X-Pipe. So, I decided to put it to a test. I picked up one of the three MRF X-Pipes currently remaining in existence from Malek@MRF – and decided to run Dynos of my car running the Akra X-Pipe and compare those to the results generated by the MRF Engineering X-Pipe.

The results went far far beyond what I expected – 16.5 peak HP and 16.5 peak TQ over the Akra Evo. And massive delta’s throughout practically the entire RPM band. In some places I was seeing gains as big as 30 HP and 26 TQ over the Akra.

Conditions:

Here’s some background on the conditions of the test. :
Dyno Runs on Akra X-Pipe
Number of Runs: 4 (with approximately 10 minute breaks between each)
Date: 4/19/2013
Weather Conditions: See Graph Below
Car: My E92 M3 Coupe
Gas: 91 Octane (Shell)
Redline : 8600 RPM (raised limit)
Wheels – OEM ZCP wheels
Tires – 255/35 front, 275/35 rear Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Supercharger: ESS VT2 625 Supercharger Kit
Pulley Size : 96 mm
Rear Exhaust – Akrapovic Evolution Rear Section
X-Pipe– Akrapovic X-Pipe (100 Cel Cats)
Dyno Runs on MRF Engineering “Velaforza” X-Pipe
Number of Runs: 4 (with approximately 10 minute breaks between each)
Date: 6/7/2013
Weather Conditions: See Graph Below
Car: My E92 M3 Coupe
Gas: 91 Octane (Shell)
Redline : 8600 RPM (raised limit)
Wheels – OEM ZCP wheels
Tires – 255/35 front, 275/35 rear Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Supercharger: ESS VT2 625 Supercharger Kit
Pulley Size : 96 mm
Rear Exhaust – Akrapovic Evolution Rear Section
X-Pipe– MRF Engineering X-Pipe(catless)

Dyno Results:

I compiled the results on the following DYNO graphs which compare the best run on the Akra X-Pipe, and the best run on the MRF X-Pipe. This graph has lines drawn at 6250 RPM to compare midrange HP, TQ, and Boost Deltas at that RPM, and another with a line drawn at 8250 RPM to compare traditional Redline HP, TQ and Boost Deltas (this is relevant, because my car’s rev limit is raised to 8600 RPM now). I’m posting up versions of the graph in STD and SAE both of which correct for external conditions (ambient temperature, humidity etc) to some extent but using slightly different formulas for that correction.

Here are the results. Again these are all on 91 Octane:

STD

SAE

Discussion:

Let’s get the obvious out of the way first – with the MRF X-Pipe my car is producing ~574 peak HP (STD), and ~376 peak TQ now…. … …. … … Holy SH***.
Interestingly, the MRF X-Pipe creates substantial Torque and HP increases throughout virtually the entire power band. The deltas are ridiculous. Looking at the STD graph, the car is creating 16.5 peak HP, and 16.5 peak torque (STD) over the Akra Evo, which is already a notable piece of machinery (When I first installed my Akra Evo on my un-supercharged car, I realized gains of 23 HP and 25 TQ. In and of themselves, those are massive).

But the peak HP/TQ is not even the full story. As the graphs with the vertical line drawn at 6250 RPM show, there are places in the power band where the MRF X-Pipe is creating gains as high as 30 HP and 26 TQ (STD) over the Akra - not over stock, over the Akra. (!) The numbers being put down by the MRF X-Pipe are just insane. To me, the massive deltas being put down by the MRF unit is even more impressive than the peak numbers.

I will tell you that by the “butt test”, the difference in TQ and acceleration in this car immediately after installing the MRF midpipe was instantly noticeable. The pull and acceleration became ferocious.

Another interesting thing I found was that there was a consistent .2-.3 drop in boost, throughout all of my runs on the MRF Midpipe, when compared to runs on my Akra X-Pipe. Admittedely, .2-.3 isn’t a huge deal, but when it comes to boost, I’ll take anything I can get. The less stress on my engine, the better.

The numbers speak for themselves. Whatever it is, there’s something unique going on with MRF X-Pipe. At this point I’m just glad to have my hands on one.

-esquire

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]

Last edited by esquire; 07-24-2013 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 0