View Single Post
      04-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #23
crabman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3alabama View Post
That is why the m3 is decievingly fast. It sure as heck does not "feel" fast to most that drive it, especially coming from an FI car or monster v8, however if you have a chance to do a long redline run and watch your tach to see for example in 2nd or 3rd gear (1sts happens too quickly), you are pulling what seems like forever in the top of the rev band to redline. Compare that to large majority of other cars or an n54 engined car, you will have a very short couple thousands revs near the top to pull in each gear and you do not want to be at the top in those cars as the power drops signifigantly up around redline. Hence you make more torque but for a much shorter time.

I relate it to a runner.

Would you rather sprint for half the race then be drop dead tired for the other half.

Or would you rather have a fast pace for the whole race, which nets you a quicker finish.

Turbos kick you in the butt and have more oomph but its short lived. M3 has less oomph but is long lived and this is what horsepower does a good job at measuring. It accounts for the revs in addition to raw enginen torque to paint the entire picture which is why despite what many say, horsepower is the best measure for any type of race.
All else being equal it is not the power but the application of power that decides the race. No matter the powerband be peaky or broad the car that puts the most power down over time will be further down the track than the car that put down less.

I'm not knocking the M3, obviously I bought in because I prefer it but the numbers as seen out on the track for the 1 pretty much speak for themselves as far as the viability of its powerband when compared to the M3. Whether you or I or anyone likes the way it delivers that power is subjective.
Appreciate 0