View Single Post
      12-17-2012, 12:15 AM   #129
kingofthedemo
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by samchoi604 View Post
I chuckle whenever I hear someone say they need firearms for self defense. How many of you ACTUALLY used a gun to protect yourself? How many of you so-called protectors have used a gun to protect the women and children during massacres at schools, malls, movie theaters?

FBI counted an average of 213 justified firearm homicides per year over the period 2005-2010. Source: http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/30/opinio...fer/index.html

I'm pretty sure that includes none of you on this forum. And, as very well stated above, your guns are useless when an armed intruder has the element of surprise.
Here's a little fact for you buddy, you don't have to kill someone in order to use a gun for self defense!

The police carry guns, but guess what, the vast majority of police officers are able to use their guns to gain control over a violent situation without killing anyone, and the same goes for armed citizens (see videos below), how many people do you think the police kill a year? Does it mean that they do not need guns if the number is low? Your building a straw man argument here, guns are needed for protection the amount of people killed by guns does not accurately reflect the amount of lives saved by them, once again see the videos below, that stuff happens all of the time in the US!

There have been many, many,many, more than 213 incidents in which a firearm saved a life in this country, or thwarted a crime in that time period (at least thousands). The beauty of a firearm is that it often diffuses or ,neutralizes a situation, say a guy pulls a knife on you- at the mere sight of your gun the situation is typically over, and there is no need to even shoot, simply presenting it will diffuse the situation.

And yes I have used my gun in self defense before, I didn't have to shoot and I held off three attackers until the police arrived, my gun saved my life. It's like they say the police are only minutes away when you only have seconds to spare.

Why don't you tell some of these people in the video's below some of your opinions regarding firearms!

I could go on listing these all day, this kind of thing happens all of the time here, and I'm glad we have the ability to protect ourselves!

''Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.''Ernest Hemingway

Last edited by kingofthedemo; 12-17-2012 at 01:00 AM..
Appreciate 0