View Single Post
      06-01-2011, 09:15 PM   #22
omegam
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Just dropped off my car at the dealer, they will get it back to me tomorrow. I got a 135 as a loaner (which is a sweet ride, even has a m badge on the steering wheel).

One thing i did bring up was what elp_jc said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
I'm pretty sure ignition coils fall into the Federal Emissions Warranty since misfires can fry the cats due to excess fuel, and that warranty is for 8 yrs or 80K miles, so no worries there.
I did ask the service manager about this, and he decided to look it up and found that the 8-80 warranty only covers "Catalytic Converter, ECU and the OBD" [sic]

Long story short, I am getting this problem fixed under the good will of BMW of San Diego, also the fact that the same problem just got "fixed" yesterday. The reason I say "fixed" is because while I was still under the factory warranty one would expect that if these parts fail so close to one another then BMW would recognize that fact and make it mandatory that if 1 ignition coil fails that they should replace all 8.

If 2 fail within 50miles of each other, how many more miles till one of the next 6 worn/weak ones fail? I would guess less then 1000 miles. By then I will be paying for these ignition coils myself because they will definitely not want to do warranty work on a car that is 1,000 miles past the factory warranty.

All they did was fix it "just enough" for the engine to work again and for it to not spit out any more fault codes, the first time around. I am betting this time will be the same. I am betting that another ignition coil will fail soon again.

Whats probably going to happen is that I will have to come back to BMW San Diego 6 more times until all the ignition coils are replaced. All while fuel is frying the catalytic converter.
Appreciate 0