View Single Post
      10-19-2010, 02:20 PM   #114
jworms
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 99 E36 M3, 07 328i

to bmw there is no selling point to keeping the manual option available.

DCT:
-performs better (reminder: M = Motorsports = performance oriented)
-gets better gas mileage
-has easier learning curve

other than price, what advantage does the manual have that bmw would realistically (business-wise) care about? they aren't going to care about "feel" ...especially considering that is completely subjective.

though, you are right in that there is a line to be drawn where technology assumes the position of the driver. but where was everyone when ABS came about? drive by wire? active steering? stability control? etc. why were those ok, but this isn't? instead of phrasing the question as "where does automation draw the line?" it should be why do you draw the line with this specific case and not others?

you don't see people "not buying" the GT-R because it doesn't come with a manual. same with ferrari, lambo, and soon enough porsche will be there (yes, they will). it's an industry wide change that will soon trickle down to non-sport cars for its clear-cut advantages.

either way, this thread shouldn't be about DCT vs manual. i'm getting more and more excited for the new M3. though what i'm most interested in hearing about is the weight of the car.
Appreciate 0