View Single Post
      03-28-2008, 11:55 AM   #20
burrito007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToothDoc View Post
I think that C&D comparo is a little botched or something is up with the 0-60 times. That 4.1 for the M3 sedan seems to be an outlier IMO. Just look at the 5-60 start. I'm thinking the 4.1 times was a PERFECT one in a 100 launch at the perfect probably high RPM easing the clutch in (burning the clutch) type of launch. They kind of launch you will RARELY get unless your last name is Force or something. Anyways, I think the two cars are more similar than even that test shows. I truly believe the IS-F has the more powerful engine despite the lower power:weight ratio. Look at how it starts to catch up and actually goes faster - on a highway, the IS-F will slowly walk an M3. The higher rpm of the M3 will give better throttle modulation and control (great for track) but for a simple drag race or a straight line race in the HWY, the IS-F wins vs the 6 speed MANUAL M3 (DCT is another story). In the twisties, I know the M3 wins - but keep in mind that they are not using identical tires. The IS-F weighs more and is using a skinnier PS2 tire. Are you guys really surprised that the M3 ended up putting up higher numbers in the traction department? I bet if you stuck the RE070 from the GT-R on the IS-F, you'd see a different result. They complain of the brakes being too on/off but IMO, the 6 piston Brembo brakes in the front have NEVER faded in any comparo, test, etc. while the 1 piston M3 brakes have. I don't understand why even the 135 has 6piston while the m3 has single piston. What the heck was BMW thinking there?

Why didn't the Lexus guys use fatter tires? I'm suspecting that they were trying to sneak into the NO gas guzzler tax bracket. The first 1-6 gears are nearly identical to the Ms but the 7th and 8th are just fuel economy gears that will NEVER see use on a track unless the straight is like 5 miles long. The thinner tires offer slightly lower resistance. Ultimately, the GGT is a 1300$ difference. Not a biggie, but an equally optioned M3 comes out about 8K more already so 9.3K difference between a similar IS-F and M3. I wonder if the DCT will have the GGT?

SO, is 9.3K really worth that 1 second at Laguna Seca - and probably even less (using equal tires). Maybe for a race car driver, but for a daily driver to and from work, I'd rather keep the 9.3K and know that my car will probably not need to see the dealership as often (statistically - sorry for the low blow).

0-60 shouldnt be outlier. launches in m-dynamic mode are rev to 8200, drop clutch, go. they showed it on top-gear. basically a launch-control.
Appreciate 0