04-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #67
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple88Gold View Post
Ignore the idiots that bash the 1M.

I'd love your opinion on the 1M as opposed to the E92 M3. I've been seriously considering switching as well. I drove a 1M once and boy it felt a lot lighter.
sure

pluses vs the m3 (imo)

-feels much faster stock under 80 mph, and is much faster tuned
-easier to tune / modify (which i enjoy)
-better clutch feel and transmission (6mt in both)
-smoother engine, easier to drive around town
-more direct steering with IMO less understeer
-smaller and more nimble
-more exciting to drive BC of oversteer tendancies and more flexible powerband on the street and on the track
-love the wide fenders and more extreme look vs the m3 (do love the look of the m3 as well)
-love how rare it is

minuses vs the m3

-m3 has better leather and interior materials (though i like the alcantara dash in the 1m)
-m3 intake sound is awesome (1m sounds good too with some midpipe mods)
-m3 rides smoother
-with competition package, the m3 has a better stance in the front, 1m has high wheel gap stock

Overall, i find the 1m more engaging and confidence inspiring. I love it on the street and the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I'm glad you like your 1M and I have to admit I'd be very tempted to try one out for a few years if prices weren't ridiculously high. (I guess that's good for current owners though).

Still, I doubt you track a sufficient number of miles to be able to forecast the engine longevity...

What are your oil temps on track in the summer?
who really knows with longevity, that is always a question that cannot be answered. id say the same is true of the m3.

i paid less than 50k for mine, and paid less than an equivalent m3 of the same year.

oil temps are less than 250 from what I can remember. Slightly lower than the midpoint on the temp guage. I was more concerned about IATs, which with my FMIC have been pretty well controlled.

I do track for fun more than for racing times at this point, so these issues could become more apparent when i become faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Says who? What, is there some secret online dictionary for M cars where the 1M isn't listed? Some secret club where it is denied access? The era of truly bespoke M engines with a separate and distinct characteristic from every other BMW engine is gone. End of story, please form an orderly mourning line on the left.

Go drive one, and come back to report if you think it's a fraud.

Frankly I'm more concerned that M hasn't produced any homologation specials in a very long time. Just mostly luxo barges with incresingly high prices and convenience features. It's not important what engine would power such a homologation special, as long as the intent and execution are crystal clear.
agree totally. the difference between m cars and non m cars to me has always been the chassis. the LSD and stiffer chassis components is what transforms the car the most. and all m cars have those characteristics.

the lack of a z4m is particularly saddening. i would love to see what they could do with that platform.
Appreciate 0