Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMSgt B View Post
Hey all,

I have been lurking for a while now but I just put in my M3 order last week through the military car sales here in Germany. Right now, it is just a blank order since the final price and options haven't been officially released yet. One of the options that I do know of is giving me some trouble deciding which way to go ... the roof. I am really torn about either getting the steel roof with a sunroof or the CF roof with no sunroof. Hopefully you experts can help out on my questions:

1. Is the weight savings with the CF roof really that significant to the handling of the car? The only comparison I can find is that the M6 CF roof saved 11lbs from the total weight, so I think the weight savings would be close to the same.

2. I don't plan on selling my M3, but you just never know what can happen in life. I wonder which roof would have a higher resale value / desire in the US market if I had to sell it.

What are most of you soon-to-be owners going with?

BTW...really enjoy reading and learning from all of you

V/r

SMSgt B
Welcome...

I'm not an expert, but for what it's worth, I have ordered the CFRP roof. I don't believe it will (for me at least) make any perceivable difference to performance, but I do think the feature will preserve resale value.

It is a shame they are not painting the roof, because I think it looks gimmicky (once the material is commonplace, no-one will be doing this - same as with cycle frames) and it does not seem to look good with my chosen colour (Jerez black). For this reason I plan to pursue the opportunity to have the roof painted as an Individual option.
Appreciate 0