11-15-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
cheesy9
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Front bumper replacement cost?

Well, I got in my first fender-bender

A M3 convertible with 3 passengers doesn't stop as quickly as I would have liked/expected... there was definitely a slow motion moment where I thought to myself "why isn't it stopping?!" Lesson learned.

Fortunately no one was injured and the airbags didn't deploy. There's some dents and scratches on the bumper, both of the kidney grills are cracked, and one of the points where the bumper attaches near the hood snapped.

I really hope there's no serious damage, what should I look out for? Alignment seems fine, no warning lights have come on. Does the bumper need to be replaced after a minor accident like this? Should I not drive it any more before I get it checked out? I didn't hit *that* hard so I'd be surprised if anything was seriously wrong. See attached photos.

How much can I expect to pay for a new (painted) bumper? I was considering eventually getting an after-market bumper, so maybe I should use this as an opportunity to do that? Is it possible to have insurance pay for the cost of an OEM part but replace it with an aftermarket part and pay the difference out of pocket?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0