View Single Post
      08-28-2008, 01:39 PM   #10
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schn3ll View Post
Hey guys, first post here and I have a dilemma...

I just sold my 2002 M3...awesome car and will be missed and right now I am using my DD (company vehicle) exclusively. I am now looking for a new weekend car and I had thought that the new M3 would fit the bill nicely but then I started looking at other cars in the price / performance range and started to look heavily at a 996 turbo. I also have been looking at Lotus Exige's but thats another story...

Anyway I wanted to see the opinions on the Turbo vs. e92, and please don't tell me about RMS failures on the Turbo because it does not use the same crappy block as the base 911's and is an extremely solidly built drivetrain. Reliability has yet to be determined for the e92's.

Pros of the e92: New car, new technology, good engine, 4 year warranty, I am familiar with my local dealer and they bend over backwards for me, daily driver capabilities, new car smell...

Cons of the e92: good not great tranny (not interested in DCT), styling is hit or miss, heavy car, limited performance upgrade capability

Pros of the Turbo: its a P-car, transmission and engine, easily modified (many options), lighter, dry sump lubrication (easily tracked with no issues), awd (but not necessarily needed)

Cons of the Turbo: its a P-car (unwanted attention / stigma's), no warranty, older car, antiquated technology, less interior room, potenial money pit...

So that is my dilemma, anyone with experience with these cars please chime in, TIA!

check out the maint costs on a used P car!!!!!