12-20-2007, 02:03 PM   #150
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
My question might be "What the hell took you so long?", but I already know the answer.

Swamp, you are a giant pain in the ass (and as a card-carrying Charter Member of PITA International, I speak with authority), but you are also my favorite pain in the ass.

You're intelligent, smart, articulate and passionate, and a very strong contributor in these and other topics.

In short, Swamp, you are the real thing. What my military son would call a "thirty pound head". He's an intelligent man himself (and didn't get where he is by being a dummy), but says he likes to "sit in the back with the other ten pounders".

The problem is, you have doubts where none are justified, hence the almost instant attack mode when disagreements arise. There's also the fact that, as with many other folks in a position where they've established something of a reputation, you end up spending a bunch of your time and energy defending instead of using what got you that reputation in the first place.

Folks may think your ego is too big, but my contention is that it's not big enough - and it's way too fragile. Speaking of which, the most remarkable thing I've noticed about fighter pilots in general (mostly Navy, but also Air Force when I've watched them congregate after joint "practice" missions), is that their egos are so damned big that they are completely invisible - and pretty much impregnable. They basically feel that they don't need to prove a thing against anybody but another fighter pilot.

Swamp, when your inner confidence level matches your capabilities, you'll be a better contributor. We are who we are, but we can all be better.

In this recent situation, can you see that you risk more credibility by defending like this, rather than early on saying you may have drawn an incorrect conclusion?

Bruce

PS - Yeah, I know you'll essentially read this as an attack and respond accordingly, but remember this post in the future.

Well put Bruce, and good approach.

I think swamp's response reveals the scientific part of his 30 lb head is dominant to a fault....

"It takes all kinds to make a world" - Roger Miller, do whacka do.....
Appreciate 0