View Single Post
      04-20-2007, 05:15 PM   #26
1198r
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
Ok. I'm very new to this forum and have observed the debate going on here. Peronally, I see the merits for both - the DSG will be new technology to the M3 and i'm sure it will be superb. This technology comes from GP racing. Why do they use it GP? Obviously to be the quickest. Quickest also means they finish the race sooner, and the sooner they finish the race the better - cause the longer it goes on, the more expensive it gets!! So, I think this type of system is an aid to the driver only - nothing more. Clearly benefits in the M3 will be if your in traffic etc and when on open road, you can drive like a GP star - but technology will be the master - not you!

The manual is obviously well known technology etc. For me, the manual is all about you being in control. Anyone can dump the clutch and ram the stick and shove it into gear, but to get the best thrill, and become a very good driver, matching speed with road conditions and using engine revs to change up and down in a controlled and smooth way is very satisfying. See attached link to see what i'm talking about. If you can learn to drive like this, you'll never consider DSG/SMG - if you truly want to be in control:rocks:

Appreciate 0