View Single Post
      10-16-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

My theory is that they had multiple programs in development (sharing most of the same codebase, each with its own tweaks) and released the one they thought best from a marketing and reliability standpoint initially.

Although it turned out to have bugs like the stalling issue it was probably what they thought would meet the needs of most people at the time without compromising too much in other areas such as effecting the durability of reliability of the transmission too much. I suspect that they knew there would be complaints no matter how they did it, and took the path they thought would make the most people happy. It seems they have been off a bit in their estimations. However, I do think that the true bugs (stalling issue) probably set the tone of unrest much moreso than the lag. I am fairly certain that the stalling bug caught them off guard. It is somewhat uncommon after all.

And although the new program makes shifts faster (lag is mostly gone) and fixed D5, it also tones down the surge in S modes for example. Everything has its tradeoffs. They may find ways later (or already have possibilities) for putting more surge back into S modes without tipping the durability scale too far. It's a bit of an art to get it all settled I think, but so far BMW is proving they are dedicated to making it work at good as it possibly can.
Appreciate 0