View Single Post
      02-11-2014, 06:35 PM   #2
Pinz
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

Here is some more info, I'm sure some of this will get asked:

BMW said because I have aftermarket wheels, it's essentially not their problem. I wanted to get BMW wheels, but they only had an ugly 18" winter package, so I went with aftermarket rims/wheels. What's the point of buying a nice car if you're going to make it look ugly 5 months of the year where it doesn't even snow? So I got the Riva MX7s, very similar to VMR, solid quality, but much cheaper because I think they're made here in Canada. Plus I would have to wait 6+ weeks for the VMR. Tires are Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero Serie II (W rated).

19x8.5 +35mm w/ 255/35
19x10 +38mm w/ 275/35

The 13mm extra offset looked BAD. I actually tried changing my order to the VMRs, but they had no stock, and no word if they can get the rims, so they said, why don't you correct the offset with spacers? Great! If I get spacers, might as well do it all around and make the car look better, right? Going a bit aggressive:

15mm Macht Schnell spacers on Front (was 20mm H&M DRA spacers)
25mm H&M DRA spacers on Rear

Now the vibrations I get in the steering wheel happen above 100km/h (60mph), at 120km/h it's the worst and keeps vibrating faster with higher speeds. It doesn't happen all the time, but around 75% of the time, most usually on the highway. I tried everything obvious. The problem persisted after taking the spacers off, but now I'm doubting this and starting to think it was a false positive somehow. I tried changing from H&M to MS spacers. I wanted to make sure they weren't the problem, so I bought them from someone here with the same model M3.

Any advice on what I should do? There are 3 weeks left of winter, and I've been dealing with this issue since winter started. Should I try the OEM summer wheels with the spacers? Should I take the spacers off again? Should I sell the wheels and take a huge loss? Should I look into getting a custom part made?

I thought I would be BMW for life since I got this M3, but with all the problems I had with this brand new car and how difficult it is just to get winter tires to work, I am thinking of trying an Audi or Merc once the 4 years are up.